Wednesday, April 18, 2012

C4K Summary for April


world blog challenge


Ashley's Blog

This week I was chosen as mentor for Ashley while she engages in the World Blog Challenge.  I checked her blog out, and her latest post was a Prezi presentation she had created about herself.  I discovered that Ashley is a very good writer for an eleven year old.  She is from Canada and is an avid outdoors enthusiast.  She enjoys sports very much and she loves school as well.  She only had three total post on her blog, so I assume she is a novice blogger as I am.



In my comment on her bio presentation, I told her that I was very excited to be her mentor for the challenge.  I suggested that she write a post about her many hunting trips.  She said in her presentation that she went hunting every spring and fall.  I asked her what she hunted for in particular.  I look forward to the next 2 weeks of mentoring over the internet.  This will be the first time I have actually assisted someone directly through the internet.  She is so far away, and I just think that is too cool.

18sadu

Week 2 of the World Blog Challenge came with a bit of disappointment.  Ashley had not created another post for her blog, so I requested another student.  My new assigned student was a 12 year old boy named Dustin from Vermont.  Dustin's blog site was epitome of what an average 12 year old boy is experiencing in life. I commented on his most recent post entitled $100 Bill.  In his post, he declares his everlasting love for money and riches.  He says that if he was rich, his troubles would be know more.  I'm sure his viewpoint will change at some point in his future.

hundred dollar bill


I tried to stay as positive as possible in my response.  After all, he is only 12.  I didn't want to just shoot down his dreams.  His perspective of money and riches is sure to mature with age.  I hope his spelling and grammar will follow suit.  I tried to encourage him to write a post about one of his many outdoor activities.  Maybe next week I will see a much better post.

comments


Week 3 of the World Blog Challenge was a pleasant surprise.  Dustin posted a new post called Bike Issues On The Road.  In his post Dustin talked about the issues bike riders face on roads without bike paths.  He discussed how texting and driving has led to more bikers being hit by cars.

funny cartoon


I told Dustin that I agreed with him about texting and driving.  I also told him that he should check with his local city counsel about getting more bike paths put in.  I was proud of the fact that I got some feedback from my student this week.  I feel like I may have sparked some interest in a kid that might carry on throughout his life.  I told him that he should continue to add posts to his blog even if no one comments.  Unfortunately, his spelling and grammar are still a bit youthful.  I tried to relay that to him as softly as I could, and I told him the more he writes the better he will get at it.  Overall, I was pleased with my World Blog Challenge mentoring experience.

Final C4K

This week I watched a first grader named Shelly's first online video.  She was very cute to say the least.  While her video was very concise and to the point, she had exceptional presence on camera.  She didn't seem to be shy at all.  I'm jealous.  I get so nervous on camera.  Anyway, she described her wonderful experience at camp.  She apparently had a great time there.  Shelly is a student in Room 6 from Pt. England School in Auckland, New Zealand.

I told her that I really enjoyed her video, and that I would check in on her from time to time to see what her next production would be.  I hope her teacher lets her check out my blog, because first graders tend to tell the truth no matter how bad it may be.  All these kids make me realize how far behind the curb I really am when it comes to technology.  I hate to say it, but I'm almost sad this is the last C4K assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment