Saturday, April 28, 2012

Blog Post 13

I can't go without technology right now!

This weeks blog post assignment has proven to be impossible.  I assume the point Dr. Strange is trying to make has something to do with how much our lives have become intertwined with technology.  I have to give him props for his perfect timing.  Had this assignment been given earlier in the semester, I may have actually carried out the order.  Right now I'm in a race against time to try and get everything wrapped up before the start of summer classes.  I really don't have a day to waste.  A day wasted at this point could be the difference in a letter grade.  Honestly, I feel like it is sad that I have to worry so much about a grade verses just learning.  Why do my professors insist on packing in so much crap at the end of the semester when we should just be riding all our prior hard work to the finnish line?  Maybe it's because they know we've already put in so much work, they know most of us won't bail out on extra work at the end.

internet service crisis


 Anyway, I do not feel as tied down to my computer or my phone as I think many other people are. First of all, I like to take my time as best I can with technology.  I like to take the time to learn a tool or program instead of trying out everything all at once. Second, I did not even have a phone till I was 21.  It would take me no time to adjust back to the way things were.  The only thing I think I would miss is my phone book and email.  I don't do Facebook.

Facebook is addictive

The question about our future students never having had to go through a techno-fast is an interesting one.  The whole first half of my life was spent in the mountains of North Alabama relatively free from technology as we know it today.  I would imagine our newer generations have never experienced life without TV, phones, or computers.  I have often wondered what would happen if one of those massive disasters occurred like they talk about on the educational channels, and there was no power anywhere.  What would our youth do?  On the other hand, I think it would be a tragedy if we took technology out of the hands of our students.  If anything, we need to get the under privileged children caught up.  Make technology more easily attainable, but that probably won't happen in a capitalist economy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment