Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blog Post 11

For this weeks blog post I watched First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class.  Ms. Cassidy's class is from Canada.  Her students learn through blogging.  They are 1st graders.  This is amazing!  She even has implemented the use of hand held gaming type devises.  If your a teacher looking for reassurances in terms of using technology in the classroom, check out her video.

collaboration

I also watched a Skype interview of Ms. Cassidy that Dr. Strange and some of his students made in 2010.  It was a very well thought out interview in which Dr. Strange and his students asked Ms. Cassidy questions relative to her own classroom.  One of the big questions was in reference to security measures for keeping students safe and keeping what they view within the perimeters of relative media.  Ms. Cassidy was very spoken about teaching the proper use of the "online community" early and often.  She basically said that there was no perfect system.  Each teacher must find their own system in which they protect their students and still be in compliance with their schools policy.


Another thing Ms. Cassidy talked about really hit home with me.  She said that the thing that makes the internet great is the ability for users to provide input in more ways than one.  Some people prefer to contribute via video while others prefer to write using blogs.  Some people prefer to use social networks like Twitter.  The fact that the internet is a dynamic facilitator is what makes it such a great platform for learning.

Between Ms. Cassidy and Dr. Strange's reiterations, the fact that teachers must be life long learners is starting to seriously imbed into my brain.  The more I learn about collaborative learning, the more I understand how important the continual learning of the facilitator can impact the overall experiences of the students.  Honestly, I feel like this assignment is a bit of a broken record.  I get it Dr. Strange.  I really do.

3 comments:

  1. Evan, I thought your post was very well written. Each sentence was clear and had a point. Ms. Cassidy's video and interview were definitely useful video's and educational. I agree with you on the reference of security purposes for your students. Yes computers are amazing and can be useful tools in learning but we as educators and protectors of our students the main objective in using technology needs to be safety. Also, I like how you also think feedback is one of the most valuable things you can learn from. Finally your last paragraph had a great point that Dr. Strange has been drilling into our heads since day one that "teachers must be life long learners". Keep up the great work and I am looking forward to reading more.

    Caitlyn Latini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Evan,

    I am glad that Ms. Cassidy's interview was an enlightenment for you! It really is important to understand how we as teachers need to take the responsibility and not be afraid of the responsibility that we have with the students in our class. I believe that keeping students safe online is important, but I think also the students should be in a classroom that allows them to explore and find what they are interested in.

    You are right! Life long learners will make the world a better place!!

    Great post Evan!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. What up bro,
    My assigned person didn't have a post for this week so I decided to pick on you. I too find it hard to believe that Mrs. Cassidy already has her 1st graders blogging, we should definately take notice. You are also correct in the fact that collaborating is very important, it hasn't been until this semester that I've taken initiative to learn to do so myself. I found no problems with grammer or any other of that sort. Keep up the good work and I'll cya on Google Hangout Monday!!

    ReplyDelete