Tuesday, February 7, 2012

C4T # 1

I left a comment on Javi Lucero's blog Jam Session Part 1: The Indie... in which he creates a metaphor that explains the similarities of the independent jam session in terms of music and the independent classroom in terms of evading the norm.  He goes on to explain the indie jam session as well as the indie classroom as being a "thing of beauty" relative to the social and individual benefits they both can create.  This very well written blog dives deep into the dynamics of creation and the creation process in the classroom environment.

person on computer
In my comment to Javi's blog I note that in my opinion experimentation and debate are very important learning tools in any classroom.  I also noted that one concern some people may have is that with experimentation and debate in an extreme independent environment, can come lack of productivity due to an input of multiple ideas without viable solutions.  I ask a question about dependency on mediation or structure within this environment being an inevitable issue necessary to promote the learning process.  I hope to hear back from Javi soon.


I also left a comment on John T. Spencer's blog 10 Reasons Why Most Tests Lead To Lower Standards.  His list is as follows:
1. Extrinsic Motivation
2. Cramming
3. Time is Wasted
4. Low-Level Thinking
5. Slow Feedback
6. Excuse for Avoiding Formative Assessment
7. The Bell Curve and other Deflators
8. The Wrong Feedback
9. Risk Aversion
10. Complacent Teaching

zombie child
In my comment I noted that if I were to create a list like his, our lists would be very similar.  I talked about how there seems to be a trend in the latest generation as well as mine to take on a kind of multiple choice mentality in terms of solving all the big questions of our lives.  I feel extremely strong about this when it comes to the way our government operates in day to day business.  I asked John how he felt about the literal teaching of test taking skills to students as well as telling students the odds of choosing "C" on their next multiple choice exam.  I really enjoyed this blog as well as all the other blogs related to this website.  The website is Education Rethink, and its definitely worth a look.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for leaving such a thorough, thoughtful, insightful answer. You gave some great analogies. I hope that when this class is over, you continue to blog about education. You've got some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete